Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Appendectomy!!!!

 
Posted by Picasa

This was one of the longest days ever!!!! We started at 7am Friday trying to get ready for school. I woke Brandon up and carried him to the couch like I always do, then made him breakfast. As he started to get up to move to the table he complained about his side hurting and wouldn't walk so I picked him up thinking it was one of those days and he was still tired! After he was done eating he went to the bathroom and could barely walk there then REFUSED to walk back to the couch. This is when I knew for sure something wasn't quite right! I picked him up, carried him to the couch and there he lay motionless because he was afraid to move. The only position that was comfortable for him was in the fetal position.

It is now 8:00am and I have decided that I obviously have to take him into the ER because he never acts like this. He is actually quite under-dramatic(When he broke his elbow we waited almost a whole day before I took him in.) So I quickly showered and got Isa up and fed then out the door. We got the the ER by 9am and fortunately it was right before the huge rush of people. After the Dr. asked all their questions and ran a few tests they suspected an appendicitis but it wasn't showing up on any of them. So we actually had then stumped, it was like we were a mini episode of "House".(HAHA)

Finally around 7pm they decided to do a cat scan and that is where we finally had proof of a busted appendix. So we were then instructed to wait until 9pm so the surgeon could get to him and then we would be wheeled up to surgery. They actually didn't bring us up to surgery until 10pm! Yep that is right, we were in the actual ER from 9am until 10pm and we still were not done with our hospital visit.

The crazy thing is once Brandon was in surgery everything went really fast. The surgery lasted about an hour with the recovery time, then we were moved up to pediatrics. Both Dave and I stayed the night in the hospital room, so yeah neither one of us really slept. The surgeon was great, he even drew a little dog on Brandon's bandage! Brandon's recovery was very quick so we were released from the hospital Saturday afternoon.

The best part about the whole thing was when Brandon wasn't loopy anymore from the anesthesia Sat morning he asked me when they were going to take out his appendix. :) I guess that is a great sign that the surgeon was awesome.

Overall it was a very long and stressful day but Brandon was very brave and only complained when he had to drink this nasty water for the cat scan. He is such a trooper. Also my friend Janet was kind enough to take Isa overnight for us. She was also AWESOME!!!! Thanks Janet! :)

1 comment: